Reply to post: It's a numbers racket

BT hands £129m back to UK.gov after beating rural broadband targets

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

It's a numbers racket

My cabinet is one of their FTTP successes. It's festooned with "ultra uber gigafast superfibre megabroadband is HERE!!! get it NOW!!!one" stickers. Ordering is filtered by BOTH phone number (ecxhange&cabinet) AND postcode (geographical data). Anyone living within the confines of the small "rural" village the cabinet sits in is permitted to receive the "ultra uber gigafast superfibre megabroadband is HERE!!! get it NOW!!!one" even though they don't really need it. Being so close to a fibre-fed cabinet they'd get stonking FTTC anyway. Meanwhile I live about two miles from that "ultra uber gigafast superfibre megabroadband is HERE!!! get it NOW!!!one" cabinet. Two miles of strands of copper wire festooned through the sticks. On the (depressingly rare) occasions the thing actually works at all, it peaks at around 0.8Mb/s. Am I permitted to order "ultra uber gigafast superfibre megabroadband is HERE!!! get it NOW!!!one" from my "ultra uber gigafast superfibre megabroadband is HERE!!! get it NOW!!!one" enabled cabinet? Being one of the few people in the country who both ACTUALLY NEED IT and should, in theory, be able to get it?...

Dear Victim, Do you seriously think we can be arsed to hang a tube along two miles of poles AND blow a tiny glass fibre down it? LOAO! We've met our quota with all your rural neighbours who live right on the cabinet, thank you very much. You're one of those Scottish farmers in our statistics. Now piss off and leave us to our racketeering.

BT Group PLC.

PS We might send someone around between 8am and 1pm a week next Tuesday to feign a third minimum effort in repairing your fifth line fault this year. So don't go anywhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon