Reply to post: Re: Hard to hit with a shotgun?

Bloke cuffed for blowing low-flying camera drone to bits with shotgun

TitterYeNot

Re: Hard to hit with a shotgun?

"With respect, shotguns were designed to hit fast moving highly manoeuvrable objects at moderate range."

Agreed. I don't know what shotgun owners get up to stateside, but in the UK the most popular sport is probably clay-pigeon shooting (skeet shooting if you're left-pondian), and if you're any good at that a moving drone at a reasonably low height wouldn't be a problem as they're much slower.

As far as endangerment of his neighbours goes, I've always got the impression that on a clay-pigeon shoot, no-one's too bothered about who's the other side of the hedge at the end of the field, as if you're firing almost straight up, standard shot will have lost pretty much all of its kinetic energy by the time it hits the ground.

Had he been using a rifle though, there certainly would be a case for a serious endangerment charge. For example, you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of a .303 bullet even at 2 miles or so, and that's with a flat trajectory when fired at a paper target and missing the range butts. I dread to think how far it would go if fired up in the air, and it would certainly "sting a bit" if it hit someone when it came down again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon