Reply to post: overall I prefered the UI of XP

Windows 10: A sysadmin speaks his brains – and says MEH

paul481

overall I prefered the UI of XP

I remember when moving from XP to 7 overall I prefered the UI of XP.

What I wanted, and still do, is the XP UI, with improvements in security, a vastly improved and more robust File-System with more attributes to support database like search/retrieval (which I thought MS said would come with 'Cairo') a far better File Manager incorporating best features of all the 3rd party File Managers that grew round Win3.1, including dual-pane option, a reliable verification of bulk file copy operations, and support for newer peripheral types and standards, eg. WiFi, Bluetooth, Threads etc.

A once common MS method of 'Updating' I liked are timely release of Service Packs which users could choose to download at a time of their choosing. Why are MS forcing users into force-fed (like forcefeeding animals for veal) indiscriminate 'updates' by discontinuing a popular SP service ? MS seem to have forgotten a significant number of customers are very mobile without wired internet, and reliant on a sometimes flaky 3G service, often with low datacap, horrendous costs if exceeded. I remember once having to turn off Win 7 updates in that situation as between MS and Google, updates failing to install & repeating, and just a little browsing and email, the whole months cap was consumed.

It is as if MS assume the whole computer world lives in USA with always-on unlimited internet. Not everyone wants their computer connected to the internet. I can well understand why reviewers are voting W10 down purely on the issue of MS forcing users into accepting whatever control over the computer MS cares to impose, eg the invasive Orwellian world of big brother spying on your every action with "your" computer.

Why can MS not give customers what they want ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon