Reply to post: Don't let appearances put you off

Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Southern biscuits and gravy

Efros

Don't let appearances put you off

A well executed biscuits and gravy is a brilliant neck filler, post pub or otherwise. Here's mine.

My sausage gravy recipe.

1lb of good quality sausage meat

1 large onion

1 clove of garlic minced

1/2 pint of light cream

1/2 pint of milk (2%)

2 heaped tablespoons of flour

1 oz grated aged Asiago cheese

dash Worcestershire sauce

sprinkling of nutmeg

salt and pepper

Using a spatula to divide the sausage meat into little pieces, fry off the sausage meat with onions in a little oil, add the minced garlic once the sausage is almost done. Once the sausage meat is cooked through and some crusty bits are forming on the meat, sprinkle the 2 spoons of flour over the mixture and continue frying whilst stirring to form a roux. Once a fairly light roux has been formed add the cream slowly and with constant stirring, the mixture should begin to thicken almost as soon as the added cream comes up to temperature. Once all the cream has been added add the milk in a similar fashion, you may need more than that specified as some flours thicken better than others. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer until the sauce has cooked through at which point I usually add the grated aged Asiago and stir it in. This is usually served over American biscuits, but I think using cheese scones would work just as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019