Reply to post: Re: @JetSetJim

BT's Openreach plots G.fast end-user trials

JetSetJim

Re: @JetSetJim

@rhydian:

Located in a small village, <1000 inhabitants

@AC regarding Openreach doing/not doing cabling - the answer to that is "it depends". If you're a large developer, it makes sense to have some form of entry point into the development that you cable up during groundworks phase, and then politely ask Openreach to connect to (and even invoice Openreach for the work done). You may even contract Openreach to do it for you, but you don't have to, I agree. As to precisely what cables they lay, you have to adhere to their design rules, which cover both copper and fibre.

In my experience - I've just built a house that has an Openreach pole on its boundary, with the nearest junction box one pole further down the street, and I was informed by their engineers that there were spare sockets on that junction box. Annoyingly, you have to go through a service provider to commission Openreach to make the connection - you can't actually talk to Openreach and get them to do it for you, and then contract a service provider. Unfortunately, the combination of BT, the BT ordering system, BT call centres and the occasional idiot meant that 2 months passed, 3 new line orders were cancelled, and two engineers appointments were ignored. Thankfully I had a fibre provider passing at just the right time, and they did the whole thing in 3 days from initial enquiry to me actually making a phone call on a whizzy Vonage box.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon