Reply to post:

Time for a brutal TELLY-OFF: Android TV versus Firefox OS

Nelbert Noggins

Just no, no and more no.

Given that recent (2011 onwards) 'smart' tvs and devices: bluray/dvd players, have been losing their 'smart' apps already and the only solution is to buy a new device because the manufacturers, Hello Sony, Panasonic, Samsung + others, are no longer supporting them or willing to update the firmware, I can't think of a single sane reason to buy one of these.

Ignoring the ridiculous 'please wait while we update' before you can even see a picture situation, slapping the innards of a tablet at the heart of a TV is just a recipe for disaster. Even if the OS is updated from Google/FireFox, not the TV manufacturer, I can dream, what are the chances of the apps still working in 2-3 years on the version of the OS which will run on that hardware? Looking at the tablet market, I'd say not great.

For £1,800 if UHD is so important, just buy a 50" screen for <£1,000, a Humax YouView/FreeSat+ recorder, whatever streaming box suits FireTV, NowTV, Roku etc, spend the change on either more goodies, lots of beer or a holiday. I'm all for convergence, but only when it's possible to swap out or replace the broken and unsupported bits easily.

I guess I'm going to need to hoard even more cash and buy from the professional display panel market when the time comes to replace my screen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019