Reply to post: Re: Car software

Sixty-five THOUSAND Range Rovers recalled over DOOR software glitch

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Car software

"Well thats not really free, you're already paying for the service. Try seeing if they would update the software for "free" if they weren't doing a service and, especially, once the car is out of warranty (unless there was a product recall of course)."

A decent dealer probably would do it. They also check that if the car is in for any reason, not just as part of a service.

What annoys me is when an update changes things for none safety issues. My company car had an update at the last service that has changed the operation of the (fly by wire) accelerator. It used to be "normal" but only gave top end revs if you pushed a bit harder through a "stop". Since the last service, the high end revs "stop" is gone, but there is much less effect on the first inch of operation of the pedal. I'm guessing it's a "green" measure to help increase the average MPG. I find it a PITA and now I sometimes end up with higher than expected revs on pulling away. I'm not lead-footed and unless in a hurry drive very economically anyway, but even after a month I still get surprised sometimes at those moments when I want a sightly quicker pull away and there a lag on the accelerator.

For context, a 1000 miles per week is not unusual. I have a "feel" for the car. When I get a hire car for a day or two it takes barely 30 minutes or so driving before I feel comfortable in it. But this new accelerator behavior is still not feeling "right" to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon