Reply to post: Re: Oh Adobe...

Flash HOLED AGAIN TWICE below waterline in fresh Hacking Team reveals

Fibbles

Re: Oh Adobe...

Every attempt at a replacement has failed to date, including the idea that HTML 5 will kill it, as if YouTube videos were the only reason anyone ever used flash.

I wiped one of my home computers at the start of the year and didn't bother to install flash on it (the Linux version is old and only receives security updates anyway). Most websites have thankfully left behind the days of Flash based menus and I've never been fussed about Flash games so videos are the only things that really concern me.

It seems I can get by without Flash for the most part but there are some annoyances. The max res Youtube videos seem to offer is 720p. iPlayer refuses to work without Flash (despite the fact that get-iplayer will happily let me download mp4s from the BBC servers). Facebook also keeps telling me that I can't view videos without flash, however if I replace 'www.' in the url with 'm.' the video plays perfectly fine.

Progress is slow but these days I at least feel that I'm not losing access to half the web by foregoing Adobe's plugin.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon