Reply to post: Not surprised...

Silly Google's Photos app labelled black people as gorillas

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Not surprised...

If this is anything like the quality of the "similar" images shown up in Google's reverse image search, it doesn't entirely surprise me. It often gets things completely wrong.

You can see why it thought an image was "similar", but it's often because the "similar" image has broadly the same shape layout and/or colour scheme even if the subject itself isn't similar.

It usually matches photos of people with other people but it's no better than that; for example, photos of adult women might return "similar" images of men, children or even babies.

I'm not even sure if that general algorithm is actually tuned for people and/or faces, or it's just passable at (e.g.) matching people with other people because they have lots of skin and the same basic structure. My hunch is that it's the latter.

Given how creepily efficient some modern recognition software can be, it's slightly surprising that the Google reverse image search is "only" that good, if one considers it good in the first place.

((*) i.e. upload an image, find all instances of it indexed by Google as well as allegedly similar ones)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon