Reply to post: Other great Amiga software titles

Shadow of the Beast: Amiga classic returns from the darkness

knorth2
Megaphone

Other great Amiga software titles

Before upgrading to the A2000, my first Amiga was the A1000 with the add-in RAM that brought the system up to 512K. It was clearly a machine that in 1985-86 was superior to the Macintosh and PC.

I also owned PC-compatible computers because they were essential tools for the programming contracts I was doing.

Because I had a foot in both worlds (Amiga and PC), a friend accepted that my claims of Amiga excellence were not simply from someone ignorant of the capabilities of PCs that cost about twice what an Amiga cost. He agreed to a chess challenge after he purchased a new PC AT-compatible machine, powered by the Intel 80286 chip.

After I set up the Amiga, he remarked about the superiority of its graphics. Then we played five games of chess - Amiga 1000 vs 80286 PC AT. The software I ran was Chessmaster 2000 and he ran a well-known PC chess program that he'd bought after a careful evaluation of several programs. We alternated between the Amiga and PC playing white and black. The Chessmaster / Amiga combo won all five games.

Clearly this wasn't a comparison of only the Amiga vs. PC computing power because third-party software was involved and we weren't running identical benchmarks. But it was a valid demonstration of the technical quality of the Amiga platform. That is one of my favorite memories because it silenced all local comments about the Amiga not being suitable for serious computing.

Besides Chessmaster 2000, I also have fond memories of Electronics Arts' Instant Music and mouse jamming, seen in this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/ImjafgBlew0

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon