Reply to post: Re: what does 'the same gender' mean?

Nobel bro-ffin: 'Girls in the lab fall in love with me ... then start crying'

Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: what does 'the same gender' mean?

Off the top of my head: human *bilogical* genders, as dictated by genetics and hormone levels:

X

XX

XX (Androgenic, non-PCOS)

XX (Androgenic, PCOS origin)

XY

XXX

XXY (Klinefelter)

XXY (Non-Klinefelter, Male identity)

XXY (Non-Klinefelter, Female identity)

XXY (Non-Klinefelter, Binary identity)

XXXY

XXYY

XXXXY

XYY

In addition, humans can be born as chimeras (sometimes called "mosaic individuals") containing cells that consist of two or more combinations of the above. (Though there had yet to be a documented case of a human chimera with more than two origin cells.) Chimeras are where two distinct zygotes fuse into a single being. Instead of having the DNA of only one individual, some % of the cells (usually half) are from one individual and some % of the cells (usually half) are from another.

This can lead to human chimeras where, for example, half the individual's cells are XX and half are XY. More than that; it's not just the sex chromosomes that are different, the entire DNA is different, as different as they would be between brother and sister. That is because, in effect, the chimera(XX, XY) is their own brother and sister.

All of this is before we get into epigenetic issues that can cause hormonal changes in individuals from a young age which absolutely can and do alter gender identity at a very fundamental level during or before puberty.

Human "sexes" are not binary. We have way the hell more than just two biological sexes, and we have even more genders. All from a biological and hormonal perspective, without needing to touch "choice" as part of the equation.

And I am sure I'm missing a few in my list above. Check your prejudice, eh?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019