Reply to post:

Doom, Mario, Pac-Man level up to video gaming's Hall of Fame

Michael Strorm Silver badge

@stephajn; I assume that "America-centric" means games that had a significant impact on gaming culture within the US.

Honestly, Dungeon Master was relatively popular in its day and no doubt a notable step in the development of the roleplaying genre, but I don't get the impression it even comes close to the all-encompassing levels of popularity, cultural penetration and importance of the games mentioned here.

FFS they even left out Space Invaders (*) so, no, they weren't likely to let Dungeon Master in!

(*) FWIW, I'm not going to claim that Space Invaders is a great game nowadays. Even growing up in the 80s (but- crucially- not old enough to have played Invaders when it came out) it seemed a bit staid and boring to me. Now I can see the problem is that it was eclipsed even by its immediate successors- most notably Galaxian, which was obviously influenced by Invaders' formula, but introduced more variety, fluidity and excitement. Still, Space Invaders was undeniably important, original and influential at the time and for that reason I'm surprised it was left out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon