Reply to post: iSCSI dead ? FC dead ? FCoE dead ? But Ethernet is alive !

Fibre Channel over Ethernet is dead. Woah, contain yourselves

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

iSCSI dead ? FC dead ? FCoE dead ? But Ethernet is alive !

This story makes (wrong) statements, that I consistently hear from some storage companies !

Here my 2c

The development of FCoE and lossless Ethernet (DCB) was decoupled by purpose !

Comparing FCoE with any IP storage (iSCSI, NFS) is apple and orange comparison.

FCoE is L2, stateless, non routable and essentially Fibrechannel transported over

lossless Ethernet; that's why all the known FC tools, like multipathing, FC zoning

apply for FCoE and classical FC.

iSCSI is L3, stateful, routable, and requires eg. different multipathing software than for classical FC.

FCoE is dead, and then below the statement ....thanks to FCoE, Ethernet storage has grown tremendously....

IP storage is the proper term; iSCSI, SMB and NFS; they of course run on top of Ethernet.

FCoE is very successful in the access layer of the network; first hop from the server to a access switch, and then splitting of the unified traffic into classical Ethernet and Fibrechannel.

Just as a reminder:

SAN JOSE, Calif. – June 4, 2014 – Cisco has achieved the ranking of No. 1 provider of x86 blade servers in the Americas, measured by revenue market share, according to a report by IDC. According to the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker, 2014 Q1, May 2014, Vendor Revenue Share, Cisco is also ranked as the top x86 blade server vendor in the United States and North America.

All this UCS customers, if they needed classical Fibrechannel, are using converged network adaptors, running FCoE between the blades and the Fabric Interconnect switch.

I agree, that multihop FCoE, running FCoE end to end is challenging; but sorry, the exact same truth applies to running iSCSI over DCB !

I remember the times, when similar stories circulated about iSCSI; fear of the big storage vendors, that Cisco could kill their high margin classical FC business. It is still alive.

One could also claim that classical fibrechannel is dead ? with exception of speed increase, absolutely no innovation ? and the speed adoption is slow, specially in the storage subsystem space.

Who knows, that 40G FCoE switches are available on the market (not only on marketing slides and roadmaps); compare this with current 16Gbps classical FC.

Just a side remark: a lot of this standards development for FCoE (ANSI-T11) and lossless Ethernt (IETF) has been done by highly appreciated Italians in the silicon valley.

I would rather propose another article, announcing the death of Raid X, and the expensive storage arrays; highlighting the coming cloudstorage built with commodity cheap servers and using TCP over Ethernet !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020