Reply to post: Joe Belfiore said there would be adware and spyware in 'start menu'

New Windows 10 Build 10122 aims to fix file association hijacking

bombastic bob Silver badge

Joe Belfiore said there would be adware and spyware in 'start menu'

don't forget that in the vicinity of the 'recently installed' area of the start menu is a *special* thing that Joe Belfiore talked about in his keynote speech at the 'build' conference, about 2-3 minutes in:

"But the thing I want to sort of focus on a little bit is this space right here, where in this case I haven't installed an app for a little while. So the system is going to give us a 'smart suggestion' for an app in the store that is going to be one that's suitable for ~me~. As I'm using my PC, on the client we know which apps you're launching, and which apps you're installing, and so we're able to communicate with the store and bring down suggestions that are personalized for ~you~, to help users learn about great new apps that are available for them to try out on their PC. And as time goes by we re-use that space, in a smart way, to help _script_ the user's discovery of apps first, but then their engagement later, so if I've installed an app, as you see here, for a little while that space becomes 'the recently installed app'. The user can find the app, they can revisit it, and if they use it enough, it will move its way up into the 'most used' section, automatically, and of course at any time the user can drag from left to right, to take any of those apps, and pin them as full, live tiles."

'smart suggestion' - that's an ADVERTISEMENT.

"on the client we know which apps you're launching, and which apps you're installing, and so we're able to communicate with the store and bring down suggestions that are personalized for ~you~,"

that would be SPYWARE.

I have not yet installed this build, but I see evidence of it "coming soon" in 10074. Has anyone seen the adware/spyware in 10122 actually DOING that?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon