Reply to post: i don't know about Aus but....

Australia forces UberX drivers to become tax collectors

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

i don't know about Aus but....

as the son of a British cab driver/firm operator as i understand the rules in the UK are as below. don;t know if the aus government has similar rules but if they do i see three options.

In the UK taxi cab firm operators have to have a operator license, and a operator has to maintain a list of all there drivers and should maintain which jobs each driver does for legal reasons, if the Aus government has similar rules and declares Uber an operator they could request uber to

a. get a license pay tax's as an operator and agree a method to pay the taxes for there users.(what this does to employment laws i can't say)

b. aus government declare them as an unlicensed cab firm (making them illegal by default)

c. uber to get a license and government requests a list of all drivers and the jobs they have sent to those drivers

which leads to the following out comes

a. uber pays taxes as an operator and for there drivers/users (best case all round as it moves it to more level playing field to for regular cab firms allows uber to operate and uber drivers pay there taxes via uber)

b. Aus government makes uber illegal(as an unlicensed cab firm) has google, apple and microsoft pull it from there Aus app stores and massive legal issues/court cases ensue.(worst case all round)

c.uber pays it's tax's but is legally forced to hang it's users out to dry. hundreds of uber users are sent tax bills by the government with relevant penalties etc.(best case Aus government as it'll make money on the penalties)

from a personal point of view i hope the uk just bands uber as it's taking money form my families pocket. (or more realistically goes with route A)

AC to hide from the uber supporters

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon