Reply to post:

Mad Max: Fury Road – two hours of nonstop, utterly insane fantasy action

nkuk

I wouldn't agree that its a feminist movie, there isn't anywhere at all in the movie, either explicit or implied that suggests Furiosa is a lesbian, on the contrary she quite clearly fancies the pants off Max and asks him to stay/come with her a number of times during the movie, her hair is short yes but that doesn't have to have anything to do with her sexuality.

She is a strong character, but what's wrong with that? There aren't that many iconic strong females in action movies, Ripley in Aliens and Uma Thurmans The Bride in Kill Bill are the only ones that immediately spring to my mind, surely having more as an alternate perspective to the hundreds of male-led action movies is a good thing?

I also disagree that the other females are shown that sympathetically, the 5 wives are portrayed as frail and weak willed, the milk ladies are farmed like animals, and the elderly nomads are all wiped out in no time by the war boys, they don't put up much of a fight. The sniper rifle belongs to Furiosa so I think it fits that she would be better at using it than Max.

I guess if you look closely enough you can find references to suit any political agenda.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon