Reply to post: Race to the bottom

So what would the economic effect of leaving the EU be?

Nick Kew

Race to the bottom

To be sure, the EU has a lot wrong with it. Historically it's a huge shame that the UK (under both parties) has consistently blocked serious attempts to fix its shortcomings, notably in fields like democratic accountability. But then, if we fixed it, we'd be short of one big scapegoat.

The EU also has a lot that's good about it. I value my freedom not merely to travel, but to live and work in so many different countries, without excessive hassle and red tape. Twice in my life, that's saved me from destitution in Blighty. But someone already said that in an earlier comment.

But one more point that hasn't been made above. We're an overcrowded island, heavily reliant on trade to sustain our population. That's not just about housing and infrastructure, it's the food to feed us (including not least the petrochemicals that support current levels of production here and in much of the world). Take away the EU, and nothing will stand between our politicians and a more ruthless race straight to the bottom. Our politicians understand the importance of trade and kind-of worry about social cohesion, but what about the environment that sustains us? You can (foolishly) bail out failing industries when they go bust, but you can't just quantitatively ease more food when that bust happens!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon