Reply to post: Client server

Tough admin forces hacker to STRIP to PANTS, LEAP to his DEATH

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Client server

"Unauthorised interference in a computer system"

What if the only "hack" is client side? In that you are just modifying the data on your "own" system. As I understand it, that is how many of these doohickys work.

Your client reports where your toon should be, and the server accepts it. There should be clear evidence in the logs that you got from A to B faster than is possible. Or a gamestate (stealthed, health level etc) is stored locally, so if the hacker changes data on their machine only, I imagine it's not a crime.

Aimbots are harder to prove. Maphacks maybe possible with logs, based on what data you're requesting.

Considering how hard it is to prosecute people for actual real crimes involving a computer*, I'd imagine there would never be any real danger of real world repercussions for this.

*Identity theft. Changed my name. Changed my bank, twice. Changed address. Not allowed to get a new NI number. Still getting a dozen attempts to use my credit each year. No criminal charges filed, police only accepted it was a problem after I made formal complaint. Got to talk, once to a single cop, who admitted that he gets 40+ definite cases a DAY assigned to him for ID theft.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon