Reply to post:

Windows 10 bombshell: Microsoft to KILL OFF Patch Tuesday

cambsukguy

I did a reinstall on my Win7 machine last month, first time ever on a five-year-old laptop - something was weird, System restore was AWOL (I have a small SSD and it runs at 95% full almost all the time).

It turned out that my last real, full System Backup was when I installed that SSD so I crossed everything and set it to replace my system with it.

After chundering for a while, it restarted and ran Windows Update to do a million updates (about 170 - all but one of which worked on the first pass).

Simultaneously downloading the OneDrive stuff where my files reside these days meant that that backup was already there, just a matter of setting OneDrive to not having local copies of the large video files my phone produces.

Add to that the expected Adobe updates and all was well, more disc space available (smaller registry and email archives perhaps?) and slightly zippier perhaps.

Can't see why I would be lucky enough never to have had to re-install Windows for five years and still have a working system and you would have to constantly do it it seems.

Maybe you are just a troll or useless at your job/IT in general.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon