Reply to post: XP Will live on.

Good luck displacing Windows 7, Microsoft, it's still growing

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

XP Will live on.

While XP is still capable of running software applications it will continue to be used.

Why? -because it is the most stable and user friendly OS that MS have ever produced. I also have a Win 8 machine - it worked well until I upgraded it to 8.1 and since then it's been a complete pain in the arse. I'm just waiting for it to break completely so I can be bothered to restore Win 8. I have never understood why people like Win 7 (Vista SP 2???). There is something remarkably clunky about it and in every Microsoft OS release since we have had to put up with that unendurable search - at least I get to make coffee more often .. and Aero? give me a break! Opera widgets run a lot better -

So I keep using my XP machine - I have even skinned 8.1 to look like XP.

Some one mentioned running XP in a VM. I do that too but even though I have a powerful system VM's do slow everything down appreciably.

The other day I blew the dust off my water cooled gaming beast and fired it up. It runs XP 64 and it goes like greased lightning and multi-tasks like a dream. Such a pity MS killed it in order to foist their subsequent crap OS's on us. I would have happily paid an annual licensing fee to support the maintenance and development of XP.

Hmmm - I also discovered a Bootmagic partition and lo and behold up came Win 98! It booted in about 3 seconds and I can still surf the net with Opera 9.

Seriously though all the new stuff seems faddish eye candy and of limited value. Does anyone really use apps on a PC? The default Win 8 ones at best are of poor utility and are often a long winded way of achieving something simple very slowly.

Do I want my computer to look like a phone? No but if I did it would be Android not Windows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019