Reply to post: Re: "early development hardware"

Microsoft HoloLens or Hollow Lens? El Reg stares down cyber-specs' code

Roger B

Re: "early development hardware"

I think I read somewhere else its not expected out this year, but possibly 2016, (although maybe that was Project Morpheus)

We are obviously still in early prototype mode at the moment though, they really need to sort out the FoV, the on stage demo gave a lot of people the impression this was what the user was seeing, where as you are currently looking through a letter box, moving the angle of your head shows you a wider angle to one side of that world.

As the article states its a standalone product, the full unit is basically an odd shaped PC strapped to your head, it sounds, you need nothing else to use it apart from an understanding of .Net to create the apps, or a guide for the app you want to use.

The idea of it being able to "map out" your room or maybe house sounds fantastic for a horror game, maybe some kind of Friday the 13th horror, with the killer wandering around your house, walking into your field of view as you try and escape, unfortunately I would imagine the first generation commercial release will be hugely expensive that it will only find a market in industry with designers and engineers. Version 2.0 will hopefully be cheaper and available for the home user, maybe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon