Reply to post: Re: Anyone else wonder...

Your new car will dob you in to the cops if you crash, decrees EU

Can't think of anything witty...

Re: Anyone else wonder...

"I don't remember voting for it"

Hate to break it to you, but you don't get a vote on most things...

That isn't how our system (or any that i know of) works.

You vote for a representative to go to parliament and look at all the legislation that is going on and decide if it is a good idea or not to enact it. They look at the evidence, pros and cons and make the best decision that they can (or at least, that is the theory).

Thing is, there is a huge amount of legislation going through Westminster all the time. here is a handy list of some of the more recently enabled acts, most of which i confess i have never heard of:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/new/ukpga/data.feed

aside from the fact that it would be incredibly difficult to understand all of those acts to a level where you can judge if it is a good or bad thing, can you imagine the logistics of trying to elicit a vote from everyone on all of them? I cannot see how it would work.

if there is one thing that is really important for you, then write to your MP about it and get him/her to do something. But you are never going to get a vote on every last thing going through Westminster and to be honest i don't think that you would want that anyway.

If you do want to be involved, become an MP. i believe there are currently about 630 vacancies looking ot be filled in the next week or so...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019