Reply to post: Re: A countermeasure or two might have helped

Celebrated Pakistani female online activist Sabeen Mahmud dies in shooting

WalterAlter

Re: A countermeasure or two might have helped

The three replies to my post are characterized by their hopefulness. Sometimes sacrifice works, sometimes it doesn't. But it bothers me that there is a fatalism that attends idealism when the odds are stacked against the beautific rebel. I suppose it's a matter of approach when it seems like the only weapon at hand is the media and the effect that sacrifice has upon our consciences. Asserting freedom of speech in an Islamic culture is pretty much a death sentence and arguably little different in its David vs. Goliath elementaryness than strapping on a bomb vest. Both aim for immediate gratification and could be viewed as infantile for that reason. Certainly it is much more complex to create an underground movement of precise sabotage and public humiliation of the authorities. Lone wolf saboteurs can be effective, as effective as suicide bombers. Freedom fighters erupting from conditions of oppression is a romantic notion, but really, the endeavor takes training and smarts. Good luck planet Earth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon