Reply to post: Azure is not easier to use that AWS; it's not true.

Microsoft vs AWS: If you can't bark with the BIG DOGS get off the PORCH

Pierce Douglas

Azure is not easier to use that AWS; it's not true.

"Microsoft is offering customers a cloud that’s potentially easier to consume than AWS".

"Microsoft is making Azure easier to consume..."

I use both AWS and Azure and shake my head every time I see or hear comments like the above. The people that make these comments must just be parroting marketing they've heard without an actual experience with both products.

As an IaaS platform, AWS is easier to understand and use. With Azure, VMs run in a strange "cloud service" container that you must map TCP port "endpoints" on the cloud service public IP to a port on the VM that only has a private IP. Multiple Azure VMs can run in each cloud service and you must use this endpoint port forwarding to expose services to the internet. You also need to create a blob storage account to store your VMs virtual disks (VHDs). Then there is the fact that there are two different Azure web based management portals and each has different capabilities so you find yourself using both. Then there are many things that you can't do in either management console and you need to use PowerShell to accomplish. There is no meta-data tagging like AWS to organize, report and implement chargebacks, so you end up creating multiple accounts, one per department. There is not a rich policy based access engine like IAM policies... I use Azure when some customers prefer it (without a logical argument as to why) but really I don't feel it's as well put together or Enterprise ready like AWS is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon