Reply to post:

The Internet of things is great until it blows up your house

Blank-Reg
Mushroom

Good god. If the hypothetical you are feckless enough in regards to basic domestic choirs, then god help us all. I don't need this hideous complexity to tell me that my cotton garments prefers a 40 degree standard wash (like the rest of my clothes), don't mix whites, colours and darks (duh), the pong coming off of out of date food is all the information I need assuming that I haven't already binned it because it went moldy/the Best Before had passed/it had already been eaten.

Internet of Things - truly a solution looking for a problem (unless you are a manufacturer desperately trying to figure out how you can licence washing machine usage). Recently found out my fairly new washing machine can be connected to a smartphone app - why? What benefit does it give me - I put washing in, put powder in, select setting for the current load, switch on and it chimes when finished. Not sure why I need an app for that unless it's to summon a robotic domestic to do the loading and pegging out on the line afterwards for me...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019