Reply to post: Re: Another nail in the coffin...

Ford: Our latest car gizmo will CHOKE OFF your FUEL if you're speeding

kiwimuso
Facepalm

Re: Another nail in the coffin...

@Dogged

"three years ago a car full of teenagers doing about 90mph on a blind bend smashed through the trees and killed all occupants just outside Devizes. The council, in their "wisdom" have responded by making the whole 3 mile stretch a 30mph zone"

Which reminds me of the road just outside Farnborough towards Fleet in Hampshire which had a 40 mph limit. A guy on a motorcycle got himself killed, so the local LibDem goody-goody made a big fuss until the limit was reduced to 30mph.

Now just so we're all completely clear on how this will reduce the road toll, the motorcyclist was apparently doing in excess of 60mph, overtaking 1 or more cars, on the other side of a pedestrian safety island in the middle of the road, and just to cap things off, it was also adjacent to a junction with a side road on the opposite side of the road. Quite what he did to kill himself, I know not, but I'll leave you to guess at the number of different possibilities available to him. If he was a gambling man he certainly knew how to increase his odds!!

Now I don't know about you, but I am little unclear as to how reducing the speed limit to 30mph would have prevented the accident. Oh, he says, the speed limit has been reduced so I'll overtake the cars at just 50, eh!

As I keep saying repeatedly, you can't legislate for idiots.

The bottom line is you can put all of these clever bits in a car, reduce speed limits to where you might as well have a man walking in front carrying a red flag, and STILL, there would be idiots who would manage to kill themselves or other people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon