Reply to post:

Eyes on the prize: Ten 23-24-inch monitors for under £150

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

> Actually, the TV licence has to be paid if the device is "Capable of receiving broadcast TV", so if it has a TV receiver, you have to pay the TV licence, even if you never hook it up, or use it.

No, no, no!

See here: "You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast."

You only need a TV licence to receive the live TV signal (or a live stream). The law says nothing about devices capable of receiving but not doing so.

This also means you don't need a licence to use things like iPlayer so long as you don't watch live streams. (If you use catch up services a lot you should probably consider buying a licence anyway.)

I have a TV that's hooked up to a media PC but not an aerial. I have a desktop, a laptop, a tablet and a phone which are technically capable of playing live streams. I have a parts bin that contains several tuner cards. Crapita have repeatedly confirmed that I do not need a licence.

Note that they also like to imply that it's a legal requirement to inform them that you don't need a TV licence. It isn't but they will bombard you with crap until you do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019