Reply to post: Re: I just don't understand the need for the concept to be honest

Bonking with Apple is no fun 'cos it's too hard to pay, say punters

Dabooka
Stop

Re: I just don't understand the need for the concept to be honest

Nope, I still don't see your point I'm sorry to say.

15 seconds? Wasn't that in Tesco twenty minutes ago, including topping up my wallet with 50 quid; much slower than you having to make a specific trip to the cashpoint; I’m assuming cashback is not available on contactless? No, even with 5 or so people in front, it just isn't that slow using chip and pin.

Dirty contacts? Forgotten PINs? As opposed to the 'Sorry that didn't go through the reader is playing up, I'll cancel this one and the try swiping it again'. Yeah, really not slow at all.

NFC. How does one pay on a mobile without a bank account? That's a genuine question, I don't know (never used it) but I thought you either had it linked to your bill or had to top up the wallet, such as the Vodafone SmartPass mentioned above. Can't see many networks doing that without a bank account?

Dirty stinking banknotes? Shops without change? Do you actually go out and buy stuff? You're not exactly describing my typical transactions although I'll happily concede it may be your experience if that's what you tell me, but I go in, pick up the item hand cash and get change. No problems experienced on the small (sorry, I should say 'micro'......) transactions that pay-by-bonk is all about.

40 years old next month, total wallets lost zero. Mobiles lost zero. And if I did lose my wallet, my chip n pin cards would remain harder to use in an before cancelling than a contactless one wouldn’t it? In fact, thank you, another compelling reason not to use them or indeed register the service.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon