Reply to post: Re: what a lot of people..

Midlife crisis, suck ingenuity? Microsoft turns 40; does the dad dance

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: what a lot of people..

Point of order.

"The Atari ST didn't have a blitter" - well, it had space for one, at least, and I clearly remember being able to switch the Blitter on from TOS on mine. I had a very late model though.

In some ways I miss the "good old days" of heterogeneous hardware and the wild west of software compatibility even on the respective own platform! Then I wake up and realise that we have a silly amount of processing power available on tap at a constantly reducing cost and now struggle to use the power we have, with the exception of graphics-intensive gaming, at least in terms of home computing.

I agree with the re-writing of history, having been there as a user, budding programmer and hardware tinkerer - with the 16-bit era there's a lot of rose-tinted "coulda would shoulda".

With regards to MS, whilst I think their security implementations are crazy paranoid and above all irritating to the extreme today, coming from being completely wide open yesterday, their operating systems and software serve a purpose and whilst there was the appearance of a near-monopoly lingering from the '90s and early 2000s, truth was back then you still had alternatives (Lotus for its sins) and even today, you have that choice, with the chances are it costs even less than it did back then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon