Reply to post: Re: @Matt Bryasnt: JustWiz If only the NSA protected MY information with such zeal.

Cross-dressing blokes storm NSA HQ: One shot dead, one hurt

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @Matt Bryasnt: JustWiz If only the NSA protected MY information with such zeal.

@Matt - did you feel left out with the trolling? Nice catch up though.

"Yeah, and I call male bovine manure on that story! Your "memories" seem to have forgotten such measures as the armed soldiers manning roadblocks and conducting sweeps in Northern Ireland"

Not sure how this relates to the police reaction to the Manchester bombing. The ring of steel around Belfast was largely considered a mistaken over-reaction which did more to support the terrorist cause than anything else.

"Bloody Sunday"

And how good was this in reducing the terrorist threat? How many peoples lives did it save?

"The Specials (14 Intelligence Company)"

Not the same thing.

" We Brits spent plenty of time and effort defeating the IRA and it wasn't without a large chunk of nastiness."

Correct with a slight modification about defeating them - there are soldiers, policemen and prison offers who are STILL fighting this battle every day and have died in the process. The Irish Repuplican terrorist threat most certainly has NOT gone away.

Just to be clear though - how much privacy has the general public had to surrender in this battle?

Even in the 1980s, during the PIRA mainland campaigns, how often were people stopped in Britain? How much privacy did people in Britain have to give up so the the police forces could fight this terrorist threat - which was (and still is) significantly more capable and more effective than any current Islamic group?

Remember the approaches used then - not giving them the oxygen of publicity, not letting fear change our behaviours, not letting fear dominate our lives?

Seems like people do the opposite for Islamic terrorism.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon