Reply to post: Re: Ha @codejunky

BBC: We'll give FREE subpar-Raspberry-Pis to a million Brit schoolkids

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Ha @codejunky

@ Steve Todd

"You missed the bits about "Inform and Educate". Being at arms length from the government its a damned site better than any state funded news organisation"

Inform and educate is not compatible with propaganda. The BBC is openly biased and are pretty open about it. I agree a state funded news org would be bad, however when the BBC decides to take a position on things especially in support of a particular party is the same problem. An actually impartial and actually arms length organisation sounds good to me even if I dont like the content. The problem is it is a biased org and we are still forced to pay for it, via the TV tax which they are considering a universal tax. Sounds very much like the state funded monster you talk of! So no I wont be happy being forced to pay for that if I want to watch content I do like. I dont mind drivel on a TV channel as long as I am not forced to pay for it. If the BBC was impartial and educational and informative then I would have no problem. But that is not what we have.

And I consider this project a big waste of taxpayer money. There already is an educational project to get kids into IT, but the BBC are backing something lesser? Why? What actual purpose above and beyond does this gizmo provide while needing to be plugged into an actual PC?

If this is about education then why is it yet another project? Why does it need to be plugged into a computer to start coding for it? Why is it an additional cost when an entry level low spec computer is already provided and aimed at kids for educational purposes? And how available will it be as 1 million kids are given one all from a single year? What it is is an additional cost to provide seemingly nothing while begging for more money from the population to prop up the BBC that wouldnt be able to stand on its own 2 feet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon