Reply to post: Re: Advice?

Broadband routers: SOHOpeless and vendors don't care

Steven Raith

Re: Advice?

I've been running a Draytek 2830N for the last few years, I've found it to be plenty quick for VDSL (handles 80mb firewalled no problem, although I believe it'll struggle with anything more) and although it doesn't have the best wifi performance, it's fine otherwise. Very good granular controls too, and although obviously it's not as quick and easy as your average Netgear modem to set up, it's not terrifying. You get proper VLANs and multiple SSIDs, etc too.

2830 has a built in ADSL modem, 2860 has a built in dual mode ADSL/VDSL modem (and has a WAN port for fiber, as well as USB for 3/4G modems).

They do cost around £200 though - but they are kept updated for years, and have lots of connectivity, slow line firmware, etc.

They aren't as fully loaded as a enterprise Cisco, but they are a damned site better than the average consumer device without being quite as tricky to set up.

The only vulnerability I've seen them fall to is the TR069 one - but TR069 was possible to disable (unlike lots of the other devices).

Don't work for Draytek, just never had any real issues with them at home, or at dozens of client sites - if anyone wants to poke holes in Drayteks reputation, go for it, I'm always up for an education!

Steven R

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon