Reply to post: @ Paul Hampson 1

Mummy, what's the point of Evgeny Morozov's tedious columns?

codejunky Silver badge

@ Paul Hampson 1

I will have a shot-

"Would you like to offer a real reason that why "consumption inequality" is falling overall as a result of the the digital revolution"

Cheaper, faster, better. Technology falling in price quickly as new stuff replaces it making it abundantly available to those who could not previously afford it (e.g. firefox phones for africa). It means people have communications and information availability above what they had before.

"such as the manner in which free email reduces the effects of poor diet"

Why email? Greater access to information allows us to choose our diet and know the pro's/con's. It makes it easy to trade tips in food prep and allergy advice.

"or how every body having access to the same web browser balances early death becaue you can't afford the same medicines as the rich?"

But you can have access to the same medical information and advice. This is a huge advancement.

"Unfotunately, there are more types of inequality than 3 such as 'inequality of opportunity'"

Very true. However thanks to the improved nature of communications and information people have more opportunity now. They have the access to train up on new skills, search far and wide for opportunities and to expand their list of contacts which increases the pool of vacancies even across state lines or even countries borders.

"Is it really? In that case I assume you can cite rearch that shows the cost of housing is directly related to economic output?"

More economic output generally means more jobs, more employment, more people, better wages and so higher prices. Why is it more expensive to live in london than manchester? Why do people pile on people pile on people to live in what I consider a cramped hellhole at vastly more expensive pricing and increasing? It is usually cheaper to live outside of a city (within reason) but then there will be less jobs and less people. Your comparison of cities across the world ignores the factors of the country, it would be more fair to compare the city vs non-city in the same country/state.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon