Reply to post: Re: It's Simple

ONTAP isn't putting NetApp ONTOP

zbmwzm3

Re: It's Simple

I'm on the other side of the fence not as a reseller but as a engineer. From my point of view it is coming down to cost and features. With more competitors having similar or even better features than Netapp it's starting to show up on their balance sheet. As a short lazy example Raid-DP is getting long in the tooth. They are doing work with Ontap 8.3 for better implantation with the cloud and that will help bridge the gap for some SMB, but I don't know for how long or how successful it will be. I hope it works great because it's to my benefit. I'm actually still waiting for cloud storage to become much cheaper since I'm dealing with over a 100PB's. If Netapp can reduce maintenance costs and reduce the cost of the new capacity based licensing that will help(at least in the short term). The whole 7-mode to C-mode has been difficult so I can understand that some businesses decided to go in a different direction at that point and it's perfectly logically that they at least look at their options. So no, no it's not SO SIMPLE. I'll leave you with a quote from "The DUDE" who said. "You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019