Reply to post:

Car? Check. Driver? Nope. OK, let's go, says British govt

Stuart 22

By public transport I presume you mean mostly buses and trains? The insoluble problem of these covering 100% of your transport needs is they require a minimum mass between points to operate. Those points may not be near you or the frequency inadequate or you need to do it at 3am in the morning.

Whereas when it comes to taxis and mini-cabs - driverless cars are direct competition and probably superior in cost, convenience and comfort. They could be the end of uber. Hit the app and one turns up at your door. Even better than Zipcar saving you the walk down the road. Whether this, for many people, makes owning a car redundant we shall have to see.

That could trigger the return of our urban streets to people (and kids) instead of being mainly an ugly repository of the very expensive and infrequently used metal boxes blocking traffic that actually needs to move.

Personally I hope driverless cars will have taken over the roads before I decide to hand in my driving licence because I am no longer competent to drive. Bring 'em on!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon