Reply to post: Re: Only 3 qualities?

$10,000 Ethernet cable promises BONKERS MP3 audio experience

Jess

Re: Only 3 qualities?

shielding is the rejection of other signals, it is a different quality to capacitance and can be achieved by star-quad arrangement that wont have the same capacitance issues as a co-axial arrangement.

Impedance isn't simple resistance, it includes reactance, which is the capactive/inductive part. A transmission line exhibits a characteristic impedance, which is what you would measure on an infinite length of it. It should be terminated with the same impedance, otherwise reflections happen. With audio the the reflections are *probably* negligible (in short cables), but with video and data they are not. (The cables have to have the correct characteristic impedance or you get distortion/data errors).

My theory of why the connection improves is just the two layers settling into each other under pressure over a few weeks, possibly current flow helps but possibly not. (You can buy contact enhancers, that presumably do the same effect.

I prefer tight grub screws, as I understand it, this gives effectively a cold weld.

Your original comment didn't limit it to audio. And I think skin effect would be more trivial that some of the effects I pointed out. There are many other properties that need to be right. (dielectric breakdown of the insulators is one that occurred to me since and another commenter pointed out dispersal - how did I forget that one?)

I don't disagree with the points you have raised other than the claiming they are the only points. If you limit yourself to certain scenarios they may be.

Many of the parameters are just 'have to do the job' parameters, in many situations. But not in all.

There is a big difference between audio interconnects and speaker cables. Your example of a stupidly high power system the insulation of the cable will have to be considered so it doesn't breakdown under high voltages. In interconnects the rejection of interfering signals is very important.

If you were to qualify the statement - e.g. to the speaker cables of a typical domestic hifi system, then I wouldn't take issue.

Another thought, the use of one way speakers (either in a full range design or an active crossover system) removes a load of the horrible reactance, meaning the amplifier doesn't need to be so beefy and the cable quality is less important. Hence why if you put a pair of Amstrad midi system speakers on an expensive hifi, they sound quite nice. It rarely works the other way around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon