Reply to post: Re: Linux?

Want a cheap Office-er-riffic tablet? Microsoft Windows takes on Android

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Linux?

I wish it were that easy. Some open source projects make giving feedback so painful that it's almost impossible. I'm not a coder either. I just want to be a user.

I tried once. I found a bug when using a new version of GIMP (open source - good software when it works) which reliably caused a crash. Messed about, found a simple procedure to reliably produce the crash. Went to gimp.org to find out how to report it. Couldn't find a report which was similar, but I did find some reports discussing a (possibly related?) memory leak. Their bug tracking software required me to provide a valid email address which they would publish in plain text. They warned me that bots scraped the site and any email address would immediately be spammed. Their suggestion? Create a new disposable email address to provide the feedback.

So to provide feedback and bug reports on graphics software requires knowing how to set up disposable email addresses.

I didn't bother. I just reverted to the previous version which didn't have the bug. Have they fixed it? Is the latest version even better? Don't know, and have no inclination to find out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon