Reply to post: Too late...

Pull up the Windows 10 duvet and pretend Win8 and Vista were BAD DREAMS

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Too late...

Switched to Ubuntu as Windows XP passed on. The original aim was to see if it was possible and practical - most people I deal with are straight up Microsoft Office types - but I had the feeling I'd be forced to jump to Windows 8 eventually but hated the UI.

Turned out switching was surprisingly painless. A few changes which took a week to two weeks or so to get used to. Then it actually started to be easier than Windows - way easier. There's no gunk or needless pretty pretty or mindless pop-ups or services sucking up resources in the background. I can just get on and do stuff. Things work. Applications have menus! And they don't munge or interfere with each other. And it's way way faster.

If you're doing anything IT-y it makes a huge difference eg coding or administrating linux servers because it feels like you never leave home. I still get to support a number of Windows 7 users and every time they need something fixed it's like a battle - me versus the OS - their ease of use is my pain in the rear. Linux isn't nirvana - MS Office still has a few productivity shortcuts I miss, but not enough to make it 'gotta-have-windows' any more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon