Reply to post: IMHO it's all a con.

Future imperfect: A UK broadband retrospective

G R Goslin

IMHO it's all a con.

In my area, with a great fanfare, BT announced that my local exchange had been equipped with fibre. I hop[efully waited for the follow-up, the extension of the fibre to the cabinets. And waited, and waited, and waited. Finally I asked a BT engineer, who had come to check an ADSL line noise problemwhy the fibre had not been taken to the cabinet "Oh, that could be months or years away. Ypou're rural. They'll do all the city, town and urban before they get to you". I did manage to get to the marketing manager for Superfast, but was nicely fobbed off with zero content information.

And did the engineer fix the problem? Did he hell. He spent 45 minutes on the job. Twenty of which was driving off to find a mobile signal (I'm rural, yuo know). Before saying "the line checks out ok. There's nothing I can do. "I npointed out that it was interrmittent noise. But enough to bring my system to it's knees (Think 0.1 Mb/s). I showed him the records of line speed. Not interested. "Call us out again, when you have a problem" Why? After threading the hierarchy, dodging the threats that they might charge me for the visit, and then wait a week for someone to call.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon