Reply to post: Interesting bandwagon...

Warning: Using encrypted email in Spain? Do not pass go, go directly to jail

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Interesting bandwagon...

...that everyone is jumping on! It's not the fact that the security services need any more power to read your email - remember that anything that the UK sees is also seen by the U.S., it seems more of a question of the tools they use being better at getting the core information they need. I'll back this up with the French having the 2 brothers under survelience for a number of years but had to scale back security - probably economic crisis rather that anything else. If they had more cash then they could have had more boots on the ground Europe as a whole needs to tighten its security, something that cannot be handled on a country level as there's too much red tape.

If I choose to encrypt my work laptop and am forced to boot it up in an airport, that's fine, anything sensitive will sit in its own hidden container with a 32 character password, including email.

Any data about you is already held by every company you've signed up to for bank, insurance, utilities, council, health - and the fact that these entities leak data like a rusty bucket anyway and don't have the right funding as IT usually comes in 2nd place in budgets.

For fun, try requesting all your old banks or any company you've done business with for all the data they hold on you and ask they to delete it and verify its been deleted. Privacy rules are coming in mid to late 2015 from the European ICO and all companies in Europe will have to comply, fines up to €100m or 10% of global turnover. Data protection finally gets some teeth. I'll bet that your profile already has made its way around the globe to less enamoured countries.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon