Reply to post: Re: Bumper Sticker?

Australia: even more empty than you imagine

dan1980

Re: Bumper Sticker?

@AC

While I am careful to point out that I do not agree with those people, you're not really making a very good argument here.

That one can drive for a hour on the Eyre Highway and only see a half dozen other cars does not do much to counter claims that Parramatta Road or the M5 in Sydney are parking lots during peak hour.

The fact that Australia is the most sparsely populated country is great and all but just not relevant here. Unless, of course, the suggestion is that immigrants and refugees (those being told "we're full") should go settle in those vast open spaces that give us that title.

The fact is that the infrastructure is not keeping pace with our population growth. And this can be seen in soaring house prices and ever increasing congestion everywhere you go - from bumper-to-bumper traffic on the roads, to elbow-to-elbow public transport, to busier supermarkets and shopping centres and crowded cafes and pubs.

The answer, of course, is better infrastructure and more growth and jobs in regional areas to spread it out a bit. But we all know that that will happen far slower than growth, as it has for the last decade. We are still a heavily compressed population which means that, while we are on AVERAGE the most sparsely populated country, Sydney has some of the worst traffic congestion in the world.

Again, I'm not siding with the "we're full" folks - I'm just pointing out that the argument you are using is fallacious.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon