Reply to post: Re: How can grown adults not tell the difference between fiction and reality?

German minister photo fingerprint 'theft' seemed far too EASY, wail securobods

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: How can grown adults not tell the difference between fiction and reality?

>>Can the pickpocket use one of the fingerprints you left on your phone?

I think this would be practically impossible. Watch the original "hack" of the Apple sensor--even under ideal conditions with an ideal scan of the correct finger, it takes 3 tries to unlock the phone. You only get 5 tries.

If you were to lift a fingerprint from the phone itself, what are the odds that (1) it would be a finger that the phone was programmed to recognize, (2) there would be enough of the fingerprint to fill the entire sensor, (3) that the lift would give you enough quality and resolution to fool the sensor, and (4) you could do all of this in less than an hour, which is probably the worst-case amount of time I would need to notice that my phone is stolen and remotely wipe it?

I'm comfortable keeping sensitive information on my phone with those odds. And certainly more comfortable than when I used a PIN code to lock my phone. It's stupid easy to look over somebody's shoulder and see their code or unlock pattern. You might be able to figure it out just from the motion of their hand even if you weren't able to see the screen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon