Reply to post: Re: You like MS Products

Untangling .NET Core: Open source for Windows, Mac, Linux

amanfromarse

Re: You like MS Products

You've decided that the abandoned MS tech debate is limited to .Net only, nobody else has (oh, and you've also decided that Silverlight, VB6 and FoxPro can't be mentioned).

This is a pattern that's built up over decades. I concede that some changes were necessary, but, for example, moving from VBXs to OCXs was of no benefit to devs, resulted in repurchasing for exactly the same functionality and typically introduced more bugs (which I blame on the mess that was OLE2). Killing VB (much as I hated it) was madness. MS had a massive userbase there. MDAC took years to stabilise and encompassed several abandoned technologies.

My definition of 'supported' includes bug-fixes, enhancements and fixing behaviours that are major bug-bears for devs. Your definition of 'supported' seems to correspond to my definition of mothballed. All the big names in Silverlight and WPF dev have moved away, generally to non-MS platforms, because they considered the platforms dead. Are they idiots too?

You also seem to think that code is just going to run on Linux. Have you tried to run anything non-trivial on mono? I don't know how long you've been on the MS stack, but based on my experience the reality for devs never matches the marketing and something as large as making .net cross-platform could take years to stabilise.

I'm already seeing articles on using Nuget to deliver PCLs and platform-specific assemblies. I understand why they're doing it but it still makes me shiver.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon