Reply to post: Re: @Time: inequality

Deprivation Britain: 1930s all over again? Codswallop!

LucreLout

Re: @Time: inequality

These recipients of high salaries and bonuses got us into the financial problems used as the reason to reduce the state's responsibilities.

No, you miss the point. Gordon Brown got us into this mess, not the banks, not the borrowers. Gordon. And Ed.

Why do you need a bonus in addition to your salary to do your job? Rather a lot of people are paying not so far short on lower salaries and with no bonus.

Rather a lot of people are paid overtime rather than working an average 20 hours per week on top of their contract for free. Rather a lot of people like to clock off at 6pm and go home undisturbed, while expecting their employer to train them and keep their skills current. Rather a lot of people have considerably greater job security. The bonus saves my employer an absolute fortune in overtime pay.

how does helping the USA to destabilise the Middle East protect us? The Empire is long gone. Like Austria or Germany we should accept that and learn to flourish on our own merits. The best protection for our forces would be not to misuse them in places and for causes where we are providing a fig leaf for others.

I quite agree that the deployments made by the labour government were attorcious, and Tony Blair has questions to answer with the appropriate place of questioning being The Hague. He might be innocent, he might not, but that is what a trial exists to determine. That, however, is irrelevant. If you have a military it is societies primary duty to train and equip them to the best of its ability prior to sending them into battle to die - be it as an invading force or defending one.

Now tell me just how we have improved matters in the Middle East

Well.... Bin Laden is dead. That is a very good thing. Other than that.... I got nothing. We should never have been there. Unfortunately our soldiers don't only step on IEDs in conflicts I feel are just.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon