Reply to post: Re: Virgin does the same

TalkTalk customers demand opt-out fix for telco's DNS ad-jacking tactics

BillG
Happy

Re: Virgin does the same

When I had Comcast they had the same. Except that when you disabled it, after a few weeks it would re-enable itself while the box for disable was still checked.

At first Comcast made me jump through hoops to disable - multiple levels of telephone support where EACH level told you to restart your PC, restart your modem, clear your cache, clear your DNS, etc. You would tell them you just did it and they would say "this is the procedure in front of me". Each level of tech support made you do this until I discovered from a neighbor that worked for Comcast that it was done on purpose to discourage you from disabling it. They would annoy into giving up.

I finally got it permanently disabled by going full Rainman techno-geek on one particularly difficult and condescending support guy. I mindlessly talked about DNS hijacking, routing tables, etc. When they asked me to reboot my computer I would quickly ask "soft reboot or hard reboot? Do you know the difference? Won't a reboot clear my DNS cache secondary lookup table (I was just making up technical phrases)" I spoke so fast and refused to hang up or let him end the call. I finally made myself so difficult that he permanently disabled it!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon