Reply to post: Fitness for purpose

This Christmas, demand the right to a silent night

Anonymous Coward
Happy

Fitness for purpose

This is no longer an essentially technical question, but one that touches on psychology, anthropology, and cultural understanding. These tools that shape us determine the shape of our societies. Designs needs to be carefully considered in light of their long-term effects.

That's the way I've always worked. When designing a system I spend more time interviewing everyone I can lay my hands on to get a handle on all the social sciences fuzzy stuff. It helped that Mom's got a Ph.D. in anthropology and I went out into the field with her. [Yep, same Mom that's a wizard with electronic/electrical engineering.] It just made sense. Hell, if what I handed off to the operators wasn't what they would work with, why go to all the effort into doing the project in the first damn place. They won't use it, or screw it up so much that they may as well not have it all. It's one of those constraints to which I'd pay attention.

As for the instant gratification, I'll give it a best effort. If I'm off the clock, well send me an email and I might get back to you. Word for word what I'd tell everyone, Mom included ;-).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon