Reply to post: Better than beep:

How HAPPY am I on a scale of 1 to 10? Where do I click PISSED OFF?

frank ly

Better than beep:

When I came back to England from Tunis airport, after a package holiday in Tunisia, back in 2000, lots of people were just standing around looking at noticeboards and waiting for flights. A security man was wondering around carrying what could best be described as a cross between a wand and a mace, about a foot long with a bulbous translucent plastic head. Every now and then he'd wave it around someone and every now and then it would flash coloured lights in the head and make a noise best described as 'beeeee-weeeeee-oooooo-beep'. Then he'd move on, apparently doing nothing about the lights and the sound.

He approached me and I decided the best course of action would be to ignore him. He waved the 'wand' over me as he passed me to my right, then the wand made it's noise. I made no reaction and he moved on. I can only assume that it was some kind of psychological test whereby a person who was feeling guilty about carrying a bomb or drugs would jump out of their skin and make a run for it - or so their security theory would go. The entire thing was surreal and very silly. Has anybody else encountered this type of thing anywhere?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon