Reply to post: Re: Dumb TV please

Feast your eyes: 10 'fortysomething' smart TVs

Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Dumb TV please

@HMB, I might be using some tinted specs here, but I didn't say that the *picture* quality was better - some of the stuff on my Samsung D8000 is jaw dropping.

However, no matter what settings I use, playback of the Blu-Ray 'I Superbiker' which pans across landscape very fast is almost unwatchable. My wife complains about HD making films look more like documentaries, it seems to have lost some it's warmth.

When you watch some of the old movies that have soft-focus etc. they tend to draw you in more on an emotional level than something that is so crisp you can hear the scenery crackle.

There's a place for both I'm sure, but I don't seem to be getting many options for the older style of viewing where the content trumps the presentation. I suppose for me it's more about the experience rather than the technical abilities of the device I'm watching it on - and for some things they just don't work very well.

I haven't tried plasma ever since I had a set that was so shiny any kind of light source in the room used to make it act like a mirror, something that seems to be happening with these LCD's/LED's too now I think about it. Where are the matt screens?

PS +1 for the Alan Partridge putdown :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon