Reply to post: Re: NumptyScrub

Feds dig up law from 1789 to demand Apple, Google decrypt smartphones, slabs

NumptyScrub

Re: NumptyScrub

The five years only applies to terror investigations (even complete idiots (IMHO) like Christopher Wilson only got six months).

From the first paragraph in this linked article:

"Refusal to comply can result in a maximum sentence of two years imprisonment, or five years in cases involving national security[1] or child indecency[2]"

Oh, and because, of course, paedos don't exist, right? They were just made up so The Man could 'oppress' you. And even if the did exist there was no chance they would use computers to exchange evidence of their illegal habits, or 'freedom-loving' systems like TOR, and no way they would ever use encryption in an attempt to avoid discovery of said evidence! No, Comrade, you've hit the nail on the head - paedophiles are just a lie to oppress Those Who Know The Truth!

Contains only supposition or strawman arguments. Come on Matt, you can do better than that.

Even your fellow tinfoil-wearers are not denying paedos exist, use encryption and do use TOR:

And an ad hominem attack to finish. How quaint.

To sum up, I said that RIPA s49 was extended to 5 years "because paedos" and the link above corroborates that assertion (it also corroborates your assertion that it was extended "because terrorists" when it mentions national security). I never said paedos do not exist.

Are you one of those people who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety? I'm not. I'd rather have the right to privacy, and allow terrorists and paedophiles the same right. Because until they have been convicted of an act of terrorism or paedophilia they are innocent and should be afforded all the same rights as any other sentient being. That's how "innocent until proven guilty" works. Some guilty parties get away with it in the absence of proof, but it was decided that this was preferable to innocent parties being punished for acts they had not committed.

Are you really so desperately scared of terrorists and paedophiles? Cars are more dangerous, they kill and injure more people each year than terrorists and paedophiles combined. You should be campaigning for stricter government control of cars and 24/7 surveillance of drivers if you want to make the UK a safer place for everyone. ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon