Reply to post:

Pebble: The brilliant stealth wearable Apple's Watch doesn't see coming

billdehaan

1. Battery life is variable; heavy usage of the backlight and vibration will significantly drain it. On days where I've received 40+ calls/SMS/emails, I've seen the battery drop 30%; on a Sunday with practically nothing happening, it was still at 90% when I went to bed. I went a week without charging it just so see how long I could reasonably go without a recharge. On day 7, it was at 20%; on day 8 it hit 10% and there were lots of warnings to charge it.

2. I'm not really sure "UI" really applies. It is, after all, a watch. It's got the same UI that all my old wind up watches had - a few buttons on the side.

3. Resolution could be higher (of course, at the cost of battery life), but given that it's just a watch, I don't see it as a limiting factor. I *do* see the lack of readability when wearing sunglasses as a limitation, however.

4. It's not that it doesn't support Windows Phone, it's that Windows Phone doesn't support it. There are lots of discussions on the Pebble forums on this, but the upshot is that the WinPhone API limits what can be done. There are a few third party apps in the Windows store, but outside of the calendar, the apps can't get at incoming phone calls or mail messages. Until that's opened up in the OS, there's not much for the watch app to do. Sure, you can play music, or check you phone's battery, but the core functionality of mail and SMS requires OS support, and that's missing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon